Monday, March 22, 2010

Going bananas


You might have seen a recent story in the Sydney Morning Herald about Australia’s most googled recipes.

I wasn’t really surprised that the twenty most googled recipes are old fashioned favourites including a couple of asian and Italian classics. Amazing too the inclusion of playdough – but it’s many years since I had to make it for my kids.

Here is the list from the story:
Pancake
Banana cake
Banana bread
Scone
Pumpkin soup
Chocolate cake
Quiche
Cheesecake
Cupcake
Anzac biscuit
Playdough
Potato bake
Fried rice
Tiramisu
Carbonara
Pavlova
Apple crumble
Lamb shanks
Meatloaf
Butter chicken

In the interests of saving the life of a couple of bananas in my fruit bowl that were turning black I decided to whip up a loaf of banana bread with a lovely crunchy topping of coffee crystals and mixed spice for my weekly segment on Mornings with Kerri-Anne.

The bread was lovely and moist, due to the inclusion of sour cream. Best of all it kept really well and still tasted delicious three days later. We spread it with butter on the show, but it doesn’t really need anything – or you could try light cream cheese.

Next time I’m going to double the recipe – one loaf to eat now and one to freeze for later and maybe turn a couple of slices into decadent banana bread & butter pudding in the depths of winter. Yum.

Click here to go to the recipe on my main website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment