Tuesday, March 2, 2010

ArtyBra® is doing it for the girls

“Do you want to help raise money for Blue Mountains Cancer Help by letting your imagination run wild and creating or decorating a bra?”, asked my persuasive friend Pam Seaborn, co-ordinator of the ArtyBra project.

I loved the concept “doing it for the girls”. Said “yes” straight away as I do to any worthy charity, especially this one because I am an Ambassador for the Breast Cancer Network Australia too. Moreover I liked the fun aspect involved. I struggled for awhile with the idea of decorating a bra – not really my thing and not so foody. Then I thought about how I could do it to convey who I am and what I do. Off I went to Chinatown and Vinnies to buy some cutlery and the like.

Then I enlisted my good friend and wonderful artist Bruno Grasswill  to execute my idea.


My creation – love the watermelon wooden spoon!
 
The patron of the ArtyBra project is Jenny Kee and funds raised will provide support for local residents who have been diagnosed with cancer. The charity is funded through its Op Shop, fundraising events, bequests and donations. With over 27 fully trained and insured therapists, BMCH facilitates support groups for member clients and their families and carers, as well as providing a large range of complementary therapies such as massage (including lymphatic drainage), reflexology, art and music therapy, reiki, counseling and meditation. Indeed, a very worthy organisation.
 
Now back to the bras … they will be auctioned on 29 May at The Carrington Hotel, Katoomba. In the lead up to the auction they will be exhibited at:

8-11 April
Nolan on Lovel Gallery
56A Lovel Street
Katoomba
Monday to Sunday, 10am-5pm
Telephone 02 4782 6231

23 April – 10 May
The Fashion & Textile Gallery
Level 1, 8 Hill Street,
Surry Hills
Tuesday to Friday, 10am-5pm
Telephone 02 9360 0585

15 May – 20 May
Ben Roberts Gallery
12 Blind Street
Lawson
Monday to Sunday, 9am-4pm
Telephone 02 4759 1511

25 May – 29 May
The Ballroom
The Carrington Hotel
Katoomba Street
Katoomba
Telephone 02 4782 1311


For more information about BMCH visit their website and to contact Pam Seaburn click here.


I can’t wait to go and see the collection of painted, sculpted, stitched and embellished ArtyBras.

No comments:

Post a Comment